Monday 20 April 2009

Quilt Festival Spring 2009...Nightshade



Nightshade


Spring Quilt Festival 2009 - What a great idea. We all have a favourite quilt, and here is mine so far - Nightshade.

Made in 2007, Nightshade is entirely stencilled from my own original line drawings. This quilt is my favourite because it taught me to appreciate cool tones (I'm an earthy hue person usually) and it expanded what I thought could be done with the stencilling technique in quilting. And I'm still learning...


Stencilling is actually a traditional quilting technique, it was practiced by the earliest quilters...yet it seems that it's also somewhat forgotten noawadays - or looked upon as a 'new take' for quilting. With Nightshade I wanted to honor this history and create something entirely original without looking too modern.


A lot of people regard stencilling as a fast track to making quilts - but actually it's a true labor of love and I can assure you that a stencil quilt takes me as long as an applique quilt does. The pleasure lies in having total control over your design (it's printing your own fabrics!) and the cost is also comparable to purchasing quilting fabrics. Stencilling is something you do when you want to have a totally hands on creation.


I thoroughly enjoy stencilling and I'm not finished in this technique yet, but for me, Nightshade was a turning in point in my quilting journey.

Interested in hearing about other Quilter's favourite quilts and the stories behind them? Visit the Spring 2009 Festival here and browse through for an afternoon of great reading and inspiration. Thank you Amy for coming up with this, it's a fabulous idea! : http://parkcitygirl.blogspot.com/2009/04/quilt-festival-spring-2009.html

31 comments:

  1. This quilt is incredible! I have never seen stenciling on a quilt in this large a scale. It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so beautiful - every part of it from the design to the colors to the quilting. I'm just in awe! Now, I'm going to have to spend some time learning about the stenciling because it sure is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I think it is absolutely fantastic. I am definitely going to have a go at stencilling a quilt. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning and your quilting it perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous. I love the limited color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is so pretty great job and thanks so much for showing it to all of us..
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful quilt. Really incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. EXQUISITE! OUTSTANDING! INCREDIBLE!
    I have been admiring this quilt ever since I first came across your blog.
    A stenciled quilt is high on my to do list.
    Isn't this festival just the best?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this quilt is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt is very beautiful! I have been thinking of doing a stencil quilt for sometime and I loved seeing this quilt...truly exceptionally beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful. I can see why it's your favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredible!! All of it, - design, quilting and all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a beautiful quilt - thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No wonder you are so proud of this quilt,,,it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Here I was just browsing through my bloglines list and I see you quilt and my mouth just drops open! That is just breathtaking!
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful quilt. I really like the stencilling part, creating your own fabrics.I'd like to see your future projects. Keep on quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!
    What more can one say that this incredible quilt....I think this needs to go onto my list of To Learn.
    In awe...
    Julz

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! is all I can say! I think you are an original! Who else is stenciling on this scale? And your design is just so grande and inspiring it really is. Thank you so much for sharing. Bette

    ReplyDelete
  19. This a a beautiful quilt. i love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG...your quilt it outstanding. I've never had a chance to see a stenciled quilt before. I'm so happy that we had a chance to participate in this festival.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning! I love the pattern and color - your quilting is amazing! I've got a lot to learn :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - what a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am awestruck at your artistry. The quilt is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nightshade...I have looked at many lovely quilts in this "show" but I think I will remember yours...so special. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! You just taught me a lot! This is a masterpiece! I too prefer earth tones. I keep saying "I'm not a blue person" and then look at what I'm posting. So now, I collect blue fabrics for a blue quilt some day. You've used a wonderful shade of blue. I'll have to explore your blog to see if you have some close-up shots of this quilt and this process.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My oh my, I am speechless. Absolute perfection and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ester this quilt is amazing and I can see why it could easily be a favorit. The Design and quilting is exquisite!! love the whole idea of creating history again.. maybe one day..hmmmmmm I might be tempted...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. Great use of color & design. You did a great job.

    Thanks for sharing.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely incredible! Your workmanship is outstanding and the technique is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...