Friday 21 February 2014

LE Compass Ring Notes

Love Entwined: 1790 Marriage Coverlet BOM

There are so many possibilities for the the compass ring points. I've seen embroidery, tiny buttons, sequins, seed pearls, french knots and rose bullion used. They're all lovely choices. My first idea for the points around the compass ring was to embroider them on my sewing machine. My Bernina 820 has a really lovely little stitch which I tried, in a gold and pink thread to match my compass.

You can see this stitch here on my two extra compasses (which I will make into cushions because they turned out too large to use in the quilt). I'm not delighted with the outcome. The points are floating out of line. No matter what I tried, I couldn't line them up in the circle. I made three rings, but none were good enough for the quilt centre. 

Each stitch set seems to jump a little and you can see that some are on point, some are off point. Up close, its not as distracting, but viewed as a whole, its just not precise enough. The compass itself requires a lot of attention to detail and precision. Now that my compass is just how I want it, it feels like a shame to let it down with off point embroidered details.






I'm a bit disappointed that this didn't work for me as I was hoping to utilize some beautiful stitches throughout the blocks as flourishes and details.I finally decided to opt for tradition and will be needle turning these tiny points which you can see I've started in the image above on the left compass.



This post is related to my current BOM: Love Entwined 

If you'd like to read more about it, you can do so by visiting the Love Entwined Page at the top of this blog, underneath the header. If you're making the quilt yourself or are enjoying the journey, please leave a comment. If you are making the quilt and would like to share your progress and ideas with other quilters who are also taking part: you can do so by adding a link to specific blog posts. See the Love Entwined Page for more info. 

5 comments:

  1. The embroidered dots do look lovely.
    However, I like the appliqued ones because they are more definitive, more distinct with the busyness of all the prints in the compass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the needle turned circles are a perfect compliment to the compass. I suppose hand embroidered circles was not considered?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm. I did Bullion Roses but what I did not realise way back then was my printer was set on 97%. Which meant my circle was a tiny bit smaller than my compass ring so when I appliquéd my ring all my points were slightly cut off. It took me many tries before I realised. What was causing the problem, so now before printing I check to make sure I have 100% print on my printing. I could of made a mother ring but after making all those Bullion roses ther was no way I was not going to use it LOL Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. the delicate little stitch around is effective!
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pitty it didn't work out the way you wanted. I love the effect. You might do hand embrodery instead? Good luck

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...